Ormos Charity is a Canadian registered non-profit organization based in Toronto. We support services and programs for the children, youth and families in the former Soviet Union in the areas of social, education and spiritual development.
Our mission is to improve the living conditions of disadvantaged children and youth in the former Soviet Union and help them integrate into their communities.
What We Do
– We help provide organized athletics, recreation, education and related programs for the children and youth.
– We assist children, young people and their families in coping with the effects of substance abuse by offering education, social integration and other support programs.
– We help provide spiritual support to children, young people and their families, with particular emphasis on at-risk youth, fragmented families, and other beneficiaries in need.
– We help organize training for the youth to increase their chances of securing paid employment and volunteer work as well as preparing for self-employment options in the future.
– We help provide organizational and logistical support services to assist in the job placement of young people.
– We award scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, prizes and financial assistance to students of elementary, secondary and post-secondary schools who demonstrate academic potential and commitment to community.
– We help provide support services to assist children and young people with disabilities to become more independent in the community.
“Ormos” is a Greek word that signifies a small port where sailors find refuge. We find it symbolic when we speak about disadvantaged children or youth who often look for the same haven to find salvation.
Our work started in 2016 around a youth center in the Republic of Moldova where we have been helping create a safe and comfortable environment for children and teenagers. To date, we have been supporting approximately 100 children which came through the center. About 20-30% of these children belong to at-risk groups.
About 20-30% of these children belong to at-risk groups.
Throughout this work, we realized the need for expansion. In May 2017, we incorporated with the aim of growing further and provide additional services and supports.