Ormos Non-Profit Fund is a Canadian registered non-profit organization based in Toronto. We support services for the disadvantaged people in the areas of social assistance, poverty relief and community development. Our mission is to improve living conditions of the people and help them to become more independent in the community. We work with the families, youth and senior people.
What We Do
– We provide material assistance to individuals living in poverty.
– We help provide organized athletics, recreation, education and related programs for the children and youth.
– We help provide support services to assist people with disabilities to become more independent in the community.
– We help organize training for the youth to increase their chances of securing paid employment and volunteer work as well as preparing for self-employment options in the future.
– We help provide spiritual support to youth and adults, with particular emphasis on at-risk youth, fragmented families, seniors, and other beneficiaries in need.
“Ormos” is a Greek word that signifies a small port where sailors find refuge. We find it symbolic when we speak about people in need who often look for a safe haven to find salvation.
Our work started in 2016 around a youth center in the Republic of Moldova where we have been helping create a safe and comfortable environment for children and teenagers. Throughout these years, we have been supporting approximately 100 children which came through the center. About 20-30% of these children belong to at-risk groups.
About 20-30% of these children belong to at-risk groups.
Through this work, we realized the need for expansion. In May 2017, we incorporated with the aim of growing further and provide additional services and supports.
In 2018, we signed a partnership agreement with the St. Tikhon Social Center in Moscow to help provide educational support to young offenders at the detention centres in Russia.
In 2019, we introduced a new program with aim of supporting the elderly people. Currently, with assistance of the parishioners of the St. Nicholas Orthodox church in the village of Maximovca in the Republic of Moldova and other volunteers, we are helping seniors at the old age care facilities in Chisinau, Moldovan capital, and the nearby villages.